My hero did it again.
Joey Chestnut, the 36-year-old king of competitive eating, has another world record.
The man they call "Jaws" last week devoured 32 McDonald's Big Mac sandwiches in one sitting, covering 38 minutes, 15 seconds. (For those wondering, that translates into 15.36 pounds of beef, not to mention 18,016 calories, at a cost of $127.36.)
Chestnut first gained world-class fame for his efforts at the annual July 4 Nathan's hot dog-eating contest at New York's Coney Island, telecast each year by ESPN. He's won that crown 12 times and holds the world record of 74 hot dogs -- and buns -- in 10 minutes. He established that mark in 2018.
"I've always wanted to eat as many Big Macs as I could," Chestnut told a variety of news outlets.
And he did.
A report of the event said Chestnut started getting the "meat sweats" around the seventh burger and began struggling around the 24th Big Mac. He drank warm water to help him get sandwiches down.
"Dude, that was epic ... I've been wanting to do that since I was a child, eat as many as I could," Chestnut said in published accounts. "I finally did it … I like pushing myself. I like eating. I like going into the food coma afterwards."
Chestnut holds more than 40 food-related world eating records. Here is a sampling of his culinary accomplishments:
º 30 gyros in 10 minutes.
º 55 glazed doughnuts in 8 minutes.
º 126 tacos in 8 minutes (traditional 3-inch tortilla shell).
º 52 cheeseburgers in 10 minutes.
º 257 Hostess Donettes in 6 minutes.
º 25.5 ice-cream sandwiches in 6 minutes.
º 81 mutton sandwiches in 10 minutes.
º 12.8 pounds of deep fried asparagus in 10 minutes.
º 62 pulled-pork sliders in 10 minutes.
º 191 buffalo wings in 12 minutes.
º 23 Philly cheese steak sandwiches in 10 minutes.
º 5.9 pounds of funnel cake in 10 minutes.
º 47 grilled-cheese sandwiches in 10 minutes.
º 118 jalapeno poppers in 10 minutes.
Here are the latest worldwide Major League Eating rankings:
1. Joey Chestnut: The unrivaled king of consumption.
2. Matt Stonie: He has eaten 182 bacon strips in five minutes, as well as 255 marshmallow peeps in the same time frame.
3. Takeru Kobayashi: Considered the Godfather of competitive eating, Kobayashi reigned supreme until the arrival of Chestnut more than a decade ago.
4. Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas: Also known as "The Black Widow" and "The Leader of the Four Horsemen of the Esophagus." She's 51 years old, and weighs just over 100 pounds, but can eat 10 pounds of deep fried okra in 10 minutes.
5. Juliet Lee: Born in China, Lee was originally a chemistry professor at Ninjing University, before entering the MLE arena in 2006. She is best known for downing 13.23 pounds of jellied cranberry sauce in eight minutes.